WriterBay.com is an online freelance jobs site for those who are interested in academic writing. Here you get to assist students in their subject assignments. However, you may have seen online that academic writing help is considered unethical because the writers help the students to “cheat”, let’s clarify this first.
Is Academic Writing Unethical?
Some would say it is unethical because the academic writer is basically helping the student to “cheat” in their assignments by writing them custom papers.
For a while, I thought the same too but my experience tells me that it is not about aiding students to “cheat”. Academic writing help is more about helping a student to “write” better.
The education system is such that even when the student knows the subject in-depth but the student cannot explain it properly because the writing style is poor, no examiner would give the student marks for that knowledge, they all want to see that knowledge written in flawless style on the paper.
Here is whether academic writers come in. The academic writers “help” students to write better.
Who am I to review WriterBay.com?
I am also a freelance academic writer who does selective academic writing, that is, I help those students who already know what to write but needs my help in articulating it. That way I don’t help students to “cheat”, which is the popular opinion of academic writers.
WriterBay.com Positive Aspects:
1) WriterBay.com is a legitimate academic writing company. I can say this because I have been associated with more than 10 academic freelance companies in the past and only two were legitimate; one is WriterBay.com (Dublin-based) and the other is Prospect Solutions (UK-based).
2) WriterBay.com always pay. Their payment period is from the 16-20 of every month. Your account must have $100 to get payment.
If you are regular with the work, managing $100 is a week’s work.
3) The registration process is tough – you have to show the scanned copy of highest qualification level attained, have thorough knowledge of citation styles like Oxford, Harvard and MLA, and finally, give a written test.
4) Unlike the monstrous support system of other academic help companies, the support staff here is very soft-spoken, understanding and supportive to the writers – another feature you won’t see in other academic help companies, except for Prospect Solutions.
Further, the support staff is very approachable. You can communicate with them anytime over phone or email.
A while back, a student tried to apply false plagiarism charge on me. I wrote a paper for him in December but the plagiarism he was showing was September dated. I pointed out the same to WriterBay and they promptly supported my stand, which would never have happened with other academic freelance companies like Essay Writers and Freelance Careers.
5) They have a writer affiliate system. Display their banner on your blog, if any, and get 3% commissions every time your affiliates earn from WriterBay.
WriterBay.com Negative Aspects:
1) I don’t know the main reason but academic writing companies shy away from divulging their company details and the person running it. On their website, it says WriterBay is owned by Marketing Web Technologies LTD, Ireland. On Google search, I didn’t see any company by this name or perhaps, they don’t have a website of this name yet.
2) They seem to prefer those writers who are always online on their system. They use the Zopim chat feature to directly contact writers and offer them projects, which means that if you are not online but more suited for that assignment, you lose the assignment.
3) Since WriterBay is new, they are not getting much workflow but they are hiring writers.
1) It will be way better if website founder details and/or company details are posted online. This will give WriterBay more credibility over others. Even prestigious freelance marketplaces like Elance and oDesk have an academic writing segment, so why fear?
2) It will be better if writers are contacted directly only when the assignment is urgent and there is nobody else around; otherwise, academic writers will begin to call this bias.
3) The proportion of academic writers and assignments should be balanced. High number of writers and low number of assignments will be disastrous; you may lose good writers.
Am I writing for WriterBay.com?
YES, I am but not as often as I did before because of other work commitments.
Have you worked with WriterBay.com before? What is your opinion?