After Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn, Google+ jumped the bandwagon to provide Google+ business pages unique URL’s, also known as ‘vanity URL’s’.
What is a Vanity URL?
A vanity URL is a unique id that is brandable and easily recognizable.
Last year, Google rolled out the vanity URL’s for selected business pages but later relaxed the eligibility terms and conditions. However, it is not that easy to get them.
Right now, your Google+ business page has a 20-digit random set of numbers which is not at all brand-friendly. After you get the vanity URL, you can associate your brand with it.
Image Credits: TechGyd
See the example above. Mashable has got their vanity URL (+Mashable) and their business profile is verified.
30 October 2013 Update:
Google released an update few hours back with which you don’t have to wait months to receive custom Google+ URL for Profile.
Now, you only have to meet these three criterion’s.
- The G+ profile should have your real image.
- The G+ profile should be at least a month old.
- The G+ profile should have at least 10 followers.
The update will be rolled out to all eligible accounts this week. You will see a notification (sample given below) link to claim verification.
To claim vanity G+ URL for a business page, keep reading below.
How to Claim the Google+ Business Page Vanity URL?
Claiming Google+ vanity URL is a 3-step process.
- Create a Google+ business page.
- Get the business page verified.
- Claim the vanity URL
All the three steps are explained below in detail.
Create a Google+ business page.
If you haven’t created a business page yet, go to this link and build one. It takes less than a minute. Once done, you can use this tutorial to get started with using the business page.
Before moving on, you can also check out these 7 interesting facts on using Google+ business pages.
Get the business page verified.
Without a verified Google+ business page, you cannot get the vanity URL.
To verify the page, follow these steps.
(1) Go to the Page Dashboard.
(2) Click Manage this Page > Verify your Business > Request Postcard
Note: The postcard will go to your business address. Make sure the address is accurate.
(3) Google will send you a postcard containing a PIN.
(4) Once PIN is received, go to this link, enter PIN and hit Submit.
(5) The Google+ business page will receive the verified sign shortly (as seen in the Mashable example above).
Points to Remember
- It takes 15 days for the postcard to arrive. After 15 days, request the PIN again.
- If you change business address before PIN verification, repeat the whole process.
- If you change business address after PIN verification, repeat the whole process.
- If, at a later stage, you want to transfer the ownership of any page, follow these steps.
Getting the page verification does take a lot of time. Google does not specify its criterions clearly but not every business page is eligible. You have to check it out for yourself.
The above steps apply only if you created the business page under the “Local Business” category. If you have a website with no physical address, create the page as usual but do not forget to link the page with your website/s. Once done, all you need to do is wait for notification from Google.
Claim the Vanity URL.
After the Google+ business page verification, all you have to do is to wait for further notification. How long? I don’t know.
Those business pages that make it to the Google shortlist will see this notification on their dashboard.
After you get it, follow these steps:
- Click Claim URL button.
- In the page that opens, click the radio button with the intended URL.
- Agree to the Terms of Service.
- Click Claim URL.
- Click Confirm Choice.
- Once done, you are redirected to google.com/+YourNewVanityUrl/about.
…and you’re done.
Points to Remember
- Their terms of service state Google can charge a fee for the vanity URL’s in future.
- Google can reclaim or remove the custom URL’s without any notice.
- Every Google+ business page can have only one vanity URL.
- You can request a different URL and wait for further notice from the Google verification department.
Two Shortcut Methods
Share this post on any of the three social networks to unlock the two shortcut methods.
Vanity URL for Google+ Profiles
You can use the two shortcut methods given above for a vanity Google+ profile link.
Apart from the verification badge, Google gives vanity URL to profiles too, see the example below.
Image Credits: TechGyd
But there is not clear eligibility conditions mentioned on their support site. At least, I couldn’t find one. I guess Google+ staff manually contacts you.
All the best!
If you have any doubts, feel free to ask via the comments section.